CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 9, 2013

NSD Challenge #1 "Homeage to Summer"


To celebrate National Scrapbooking Day, CropChocolate has been hosting a whole set of challenges this past week created by their current Design Team . . . eight (8) challenges in all.  You can find the challenges on the Contest pages (pages 1-8).  There will be prizes for those who participate and enter their project.  Yes, prizes!!!  {{smiley face}}  

I will also be giving away some blog candy of my own.  Check here to see to see the different ways you can win some blog candy from me. 


Projects must be posted/submitted in the contest pages by 8am MST May 10.

With that being said, for the month of May, my local scrapbook store is hosting "Mixed Media" make 'n takes . . . when I heard that, I was soooo excited.  Not only was I going to be able to refresh my skills and knowledge, but I would also be learning some new techniques.

Well, this past week I got to work with Silks Acrylic Paints and Radiant Rain Shimmering Mists . . . boy, are the colors YUMMY!!!!  So after purchasing the necessary acrylics and mists to recreate this week's card, I headed home to "play" with my new toys for awhile and to come up with my own interpretation of a sunburst for CC's NSD Challenge #1: "Homeage to Summer".   Here's how my recreation turned out:

Supplies:
CC Products: 
Dk Pink/mint solid CS (from This & That) by EP; 
tan CS by EP (painted with Key Lime acrylic paint); 
Black Soot distress ink; 
rhinestones; 
"crocheted" ribbon by MME; 
Snake Tape. 
NonCC: Silks Acrylic paints in Key Lime, Yellow Roses and Pink Azalea; 
Radiant Rain Shimmering Mist in Spanish Moss & Ice; 
scroll die cut by Tim Holtz; misc. stamp; Hug Snug ribbon.

I used the dk pink/mint solid cardstock for the card base and the tan cardstock for the scroll die cut.  After cutting the die cut, I painted it with Key Lime Acrylic paint.  Let it dry for a minute or two and then applied another layer of acrylic paint.  

Next, I took the crocheted ribbon and sprayed it with the Spanish Moss Radiant Rain Shimmering Mist . . . and then "mopping" up the excess mist & acrylic paint from the splat mat with it.  I did the same thing with ivory Hug Snug ribbon.  Then I set both aside to dry.

Taking 3 colors of Silks Acrylics (Yellow Roses, Key Lime & Pink Azalea), I splatted blobs (such technical terms - lol) on my splat mat . . .approximately 2 to 4 blobs each and misted with water.  Then I took my pre-cut paper tag and paper punched butterfly (or you can cut your own tag) and dragged it thru the paint mixtures, making sure not to swish it around too much . . . if I did, I would end up mixing the paints too much and end up with a brownish mess. :)  

Taking my "Heat it" embossing dryer, I dried the tag and butterfly.  And then I dried my ribbons a bit more with it, too.  Then taking my tag and scroll die cut, I misted them with "Ice" Radiant Rain Shimmering Mist . . . drying them once more before going onto the next step.  Once it was COMPLETELY dry, I flicked "Black China" Twinkling H20 over the tag to give it a bit more dimension and then I stamped my verse with Black Soot distress ink.  If you don't let the shimmering mist completely dry before flicking the Twinkling H2O, the colors will blend together.



I added the Hug Snug ribbon to the tag and then it was time to put the card together.  Once it was all together, I added some bling to my butterfly.


And, VOILA! it was done. :)   


What do you think?  I think I did a pretty good job recreating this card with my own interpretation of a sunburst and can't wait to try out some more of my new Silks Acrylics, Twinkling H2Os, and Radiant Rain Shimmering Mists.  

Remember what I have said before, "There are NO mistakes, only creative discoveries."

Till the next time I'm up in the night.  Kathy

1 comments:

mommyx2

This is gorgeous!!

Post a Comment